Being active is so important to creating a healthier lifestyle. The benefits go way beyond weight loss. Daily exercise and activity helps you feel better and have more energy. It’s amazing how the body responds to physical activity! It directly impacts your muscles, bones, heart, lungs, hormones, as well as, reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease and several cancers and other health conditions.
According to the American Diabetes Association, regular activity improves blood glucose management, allowing your body to become more sensitive to the insulin you take. In some cases with a balance of diet & exercise, some individuals have been able to completely remove themselves from their daily regimen of taking pills to regulate their bodies’ insulin.
There are so many benefits of physical activity! We wanted to share with you our top 10! We hope this inspires you to not only get active but STAY active.
- Better overall health
- Improved fitness
- Healthy weight, weight loss and control
- Improves your mood
- Sleep better
- Increased energy
- Stronger bones and muscles
- Reduces stress, anxiety, and depression
- Increased flexibility
- Lower risk for health problems, including heart attacks, strokes, cancers, & bone loss. In addition, activity helps to reduce blood pressure, raise good cholesterol, lower bad cholesterol, and improve glucose.
Now that you know WHY being active benefits you, it’s important to know HOW to incorporate daily activity so can stay active.
1. Choose activities you enjoy. It’s simple: if you don’t like doing it, you won’t do it.
2. Step away from the TV, computer, ipad, iphone, & other distracting gadgets. Get up & move! For example, get active during commercial breaks. There is nothing wrong with doing jumping jacks, running in place, or doing push ups during those 3-5 minute commercial breaks.
3. Walk. Walking is one of the easiest things you can do. Why? Because you walk all day! Instead of parking in that front parking spot. Pick a spot in the back. See those shopping trips as activity and exercise opportunities. Instead of taking the elevator, take the stairs.
4. Get active with the kids. Every day is a gift. Honor the gift of your presence and the presence of your family by spending time playing outside. Playing football, basketball, jump rope, hopscotch, dodge ball, volleyball, baseball, yard work, etc. are all things the whole family can benefit from. There is no excuse here. Improve your family dynamic by improving your family dynamics. Get out & do something…together!
5. Stay positive and RELAX. Stop allowing yourself to be so consumed by the struggles in your life that you forget about all the gifts in your life. Know that you are blessed. Yes, you may have struggles but what good are you to anyone, including yourself, if you allow these challenges to interfere with how you choose to live? Bishop TD Jakes once said, “…you can not make sound decisions from an emotional state.” That is so true. If you are consumed about the problem, then you can not focus on creating or seeing the solution.
Let go & let God. Take time to pray. Take time to meditate. Take time for you.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.