Tis the season for many, many indulgences!
Remember, this is the hardest stretch of the year. Between holiday parties, family gatherings, traveling, etc, these last few weeks can be quite a challenge to remain disciplined and focused on your lifestyle/weight loss goals.
Make a note: we said it can be challenging NOT impossible.
Our goal it to help you stay on track! Approach this holiday season and new year differently. Instead of “giving up” during the holiday season, let’s take the next step and begin implementing these small things you can do to stay focused, fit, & healthy!
Here are 10 tips to help you stay fit & focused during the holiday season:
1. Eat Before Going Out: Say it with us, “HOME = CONTROL.” Take the time to eat something BEFORE you head out for the day. This will help you avoid overindulging or being tempted by everything you see & smell. Being on the go is no excuse. Snacks travel well.
2. Don’t Skip Meals: Eat 5-6 times a day. Will discuss this more in tip #8. Skipping meals to “save room” or to make up for your over indulgences is a bad habit you must break. Skipping meals does one thing & one thing only, it entices you to over eat.
3. Drink & Be Merry…in Moderation: Here’s the question: how do you DEFINE moderation? That is the key to how you handle your “merriness.” If you will be indulging in alcoholic beverages, a good tip is to bracket your drinks with water. Remember, sugary beverages may seem harmless but the numbers add up quickly.
4. Stay Active: Don’t let go of your workout regimen just because it’s the holiday season. We know you have a lot of things to do. No Excuses. Health & fitness are a matter of priority. You must make time for it. Activity can be as simple as parking your car (safety first) in the back of the parking lot & getting in extra steps or taking the steps instead of the elevator or escalator. There are a lot of simple things you can do at home & on the go that can help you stay active & burn calories. Make that extra effort. Now is not the time to get lazy & complacent about your daily activity regimen. Stay focused.
5. Continue to Strength Train: It’s important to maintain your muscle mass. Remember, building muscle helps you continue to burn more calories even when you are finished your workout routine. Weight lifting will help you to tone, lift, & strengthen your body. Keep it up!
6. Drink WATER: Really? Do we really need to explain this one again? Remember, water keeps you hydrated, feeling full, flushes toxins, clarifies the skin, keeps the organs functioning, etc, etc, etc. Drink up!
7. Select your Treat: Notice, we did not say “select your TREATS!” lol! Pick one! We know it can be hard but you can do it. Don’t allow yourself to get overwhelmed with everything you see. You know there will be holiday pies, cookies, candy, ice cream, cupcakes, muffins, & tasty drinks. Decide what you want. Eat it. Enjoy it. Move on.
8. Eat 5-6 times a day: Eating small meals more frequently helps to keep your body properly fueled. Understand, when you feel hungry, you’ve waited TOO long to eat. Think about it like this: your body is a car with a small gas tank. If you have a small tank, you can only go so far with a limited amount of fuel. Therefore, it requires you to fuel up more often. Don’t allow yourself to run out of “gas.” Fuel up!
9. Workout in the AM: Morning workouts have a way of really waking up your mind & body. It gets the metabolism revved up for the day. Your AM workout does not have to be an Olympic training session, it could be as simple as doing a 5 or 10 minute circuit. Keep it simple. You will be surprised what a few minutes can do for you & your heart.
10. Set Realistic Goals: How many times have you heard us tell you, “This is a process.” Rome was not built in a day. That means you can not expect to reconstruct your normal behaviors & see sustainable results overnight. It’s a process. It was a long-term process to gain it. It will be a a long-term process to overcome it. Remember, this is a LIFEstyle change. Establishing and working towards both your short term & long term goals will help you stay motivated & put you in a position to win. At the end of the day, the ultimate goal is improving your overall health, wellness, and establishing sustainable weight loss.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.