How effective is your workout? Are you just doing cardio to burn calories? Are you burning fat?
Truth is, your workout should be doing both…together. Take your next workout to the next level!
HIIT, or high intensity interval training, is an extremely effective & quick workout for transforming your body. HIIT is designed to incorporate intense periods of work with short periods of recovery. This workout provides your body with the ability to keep you burning fat well after your workout is complete.
For example, try walking for 2 minutes and running as fast as you can for just 1 minute. Repeat in 3 minute intervals for the duration of your workout time. Whether 5 minutes or 30 minutes, high intensity interval training is an effective, fat-blasting workout regimen that will help you trim the fat, burn calories, & shape your body.
Here are 5 benefits of high intensity interval training (HIIT):
1. Effective: Guess what, not having time is no longer an excuse you can use! In just 4 minutes, you can complete an effective HIIT workout & burn more calories than if you spent 10 minutes on a treadmill! HIIT is an ideal workout for those with busy schedules.
2. Burn Fat: Because of the intensity, HIIT will not only help you burn more calories but you will burn more fat in the 24hours after your HIIT workout. Because of the intense energy exerted to perform these routines, your body goes into high gear to repair iteself which turns up the calorie & fat burn.
3. Improve Heart Health: High intensity interval training also develops the cardiovascular system. By pushing your heart rate high during periods of work, you’ll increase your cardio ability and strengthen your heart.
4. No Equipment Required: Oh, how we love eliminating the excuses. No gym & no equipment required to a great HIIT! Not sure what to do? Try running, biking, jumping rope, high knees, fast feet, or any plyometric activity.
5. Lose Weight, Maintain Muscle: Studies show that both weight training and HIIT workouts allow you to preserve your muscles while ensuring most of the weight loss comes from fat lost.
*If you have any cardiovascular problems or other health concerns that limit your ability to exercise at very intense levels, or if you are relatively new to aerobic exercise or not already in good shape, check in with your medical professional before trying HIIT.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.