As with many other health topics, milk is another one of those things you will find arguments for alternatives to milk and arguments against these alternatives. It’s simple. The choice is yours.
We drink almond milk. Why? Because we were looking for an alternative that supported our healthier lifestyle. For us, milk has too much sugar per serving. It doesn’t matter whether you are drinking whole milk or skim milk, each 8oz cup contains 12g of sugar. In addition, there are the hormone & additive discussions, the increasing costs, and the realization that your daily calcium can come from many other nutritional sources.
Now, for your children, we ask that you consult your primary care physician to determine what is best for them. For us, we still provide our children with 1% milk but for what we need, almond milk is ideal.
In this blog, we want to simply share the BENEFITS of incorporating almond milk. Yes, it is an acquired taste but allow yourself to try something new.
Here are 5 benefits to consider if making the switch from milk to almond milk.
1. Almond milk is high in antioxidants: Almond milk is a good source of vitamin E. The flavonoids in almond milk can help to reduce the number of free radicals in the body, protecting you from a number of degenerative diseases that occur, such as osteoporosis and type 2 diabetes.
2. Almond milk is heart healthy: Almond milk contains no cholesterol and no saturated fats. Almond milk is also low in sodium and high in omega-3 fatty acids to help lower your levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol and protect your heart.
3. Almond milk is high in vitamins and minerals: Almond milk has the highest concentrations of vitamins and minerals. Almond milk contains copper, zinc, iron, magnesium, manganese, calcium, phosphorous, potassium, and selenium. All of these nutrients occur naturally in almond milk. This means you can actually make almond milk at home.
4. Almond milk has low impact on blood sugar: Almond milk is low in carbs, which means it won’t cause a significant increase in your blood sugar levels. This translates into your body using these carbs as energy so the sugars will not be stored as fat.
5. Almond milk contains no animal byproducts: Almond milk is made only from almonds and water. Because almond milk contains no animal products or byproducts, it’s suitable for vegans and vegetarians. In addition, almond milk is a suitable, lactose-free substitute.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.