No matter what any of us want to achieve in our lives, it is imperative that we set goals.
It doesn’t matter if you are trying to create a healthier lifestyle to lose weight or starting a new career, the process of achieving your dreams remain the same.
You must KNOW what you want.
What is a goal? Simply stated, a goal is a personal objective that you want to achieve within a specific time period. For your goals to be effective and attainable, they must be realistic, challenging, and more importantly, flexible.
Here are 5 tips to help you set and achieve your goals.
1. Be specific. Know what YOU WANT: It all begins with a dream you have for your life… Your dream represents an idea of what you want. Your dream does not detail the specific details or process of the journey ahead.
Insert GOALS. Your goals become your daily, weekly, monthly, and annual tasks you wish to accomplish.
As defined above, goals are personal objectives. Each goal you establish must be specific, measurable (trackable), and achievable within a certain amount of time.
Tip: Be realistic. Unrealistic goals will always derail your efforts and skew your expectations.
2. Write down your goals: Writing down your goals makes them real. There is something that happens when you put your ideas, goals, and visions on paper. We don’t mean typing them out on a computer. Get your favorite journal or a small steno notebook and WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS.
3. Establish realistic time frames: Establish deadlines for your goals. These deadlines should be realistic and challenging so you stay motivated. Your deadlines will reflect those goals you can attain in a short period of time (short term goals) and those things that will take longer (long term goals).
4. Measure your goals: You must be able to track/measure your goals. By measuring your progress, you can make the necessary adjustments in your actions or in your goals. Remember, goals are about progress & process NOT perfection.
Whether you are measuring, for example, your weight loss, body fat%, or measuring miles run, you must determine the aspects of your goals that you can measure and track. Every goal will have something that can be measured. This step will help you determine if you are succeeding or if you need to make some adjustments.
5. Hold yourself accountable: Your input will determine your output. Remember, these are your dreams and your goals. No one can achieve them for you. You know when you are giving your best effort and you also know when you are procrastinating and taking short cuts. Hold yourself accountable. Look at what you are doing and make the necessary adjustments.
Tip: Make a daily To-Do list. This helps you prioritize your daily goals. In addition, it will help you set the pace for the day and with each day, move you closer to your larger goal(s).
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.