How often do you find yourself trying to figure out those “right” foods to eat? What are those foods that will help you create your healthier lifestyle but also add some real momentum to your weight loss efforts?
Here’s the deal: There are several “power foods” that will not only help you lose weight but offer you additional nutritional benefits that will help to improve your overall health and wellness. Power foods are identified as those foods that help build bones, prevent chronic diseases, improve eyesight, & keep your brain focused & sharp. These same foods also help BOOSTS your weight loss & keep it off long term!
This does not change the fact, weight loss is a result of a caloric reduction and an increase in activity. However, these power or super foods will help you shed the pounds by keeping you full longer & providing your body the nutrition it NEEDS!
Here are 8 power foods to help maximize your weight loss efforts:
1. Beans: We love beans! They are an excellent source of protein & fiber! Because of their fiber content, beans are slow to digest which means you will feel full longer. Beans come in a variety of sizes & flavors. We love them so much, we cook a pot of beans every week!
2. Soup: Research suggests people who START a meal with vegetable soup eat 20% fewer calories over the course of their meal. Here’s the deal with soup: be mindful of the sodium content. Opt for lower sodium versions of your favorites OR as we like to advocate, COOK AT HOME. Home = Control.
3. Apples: There is nothing like a cold, crisp, sweet apple! Pass on the apple juice & applesauce. Eat the real deal! The fiber in the apple will help keep you full. The sweetness will satisfy any sweet tooth & the crunch adds some “chewing power” to every bite!
4. Eggs: Eggs for breakfast are a quick way to start your day on the right foot…PROTEIN RICH BREAKFAST! Studies suggest those who started their day with 35g of protein, felt full & snacked less on unhealthier food options.
5. Nuts: Nuts offer you a great source of healthy fat your body needs to lose fat! Nuts provide a mix of omega-3 fatty acids, protein, and fiber. All of these benefits help keep you feeling full & keep you from mindless snacking. Try incorporating almonds, cashews, or pistachios.
6. Dark Chocolate: Don’t you just love the opportunity to indulge in chocolate! Surprisingly to know, dark chocolate helps slow down digestion so you feel full longer. Now, that doesn’t mean you can eat chocolate at every meal or even every day. But, you can treat yourself without any worries of derailing your healthy lifestyle/weight loss efforts.
7. Oats/Oatmeal: Oatmeal is an excellent choice for breakfast! Because of the whole grains & fiber found in oatmeal, it is a “slow release” carbohydrate. This means your blood sugar will not spike as high as if you were to consume refined carbs. This “slow release” keeps insulin levels lower, helping you to burn fat instead of store fat.
8. Salmon: Salmon is a lean protein. Lean proteins help keep you feeling full without adding fat. Salmon is also an excellent source of healthy fats or Omega-3 fatty acids. It helps strengthen your muscles and heart, increase your metabolism, lower blood sugar, and keep your hair shiny, eyes bright, and skin healthy.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!