Did you know green peas are one of the most nutritious leguminous vegetables, rich in health benefiting phyto-nutrients, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants?
With only 134 calories per cooked cup, they can help you lose weight or maintain your current weight while supporting your health with a wide array of vitamins and minerals. Just ONE (1) cup of raw peas, with only 117 calories, is a rich source of antioxidants.
Here are 8 amazing health benefits of green peas:
1. Excellent Source of Protein & Fiber: Fresh, tender peas are relatively low in calories on comparison with beans. 100 g of green peas provide only 81 calories, and no cholesterol. They are a good source of proteins, and soluble as well as insoluble fiber. The high fiber content in peas improves bowel health and peristalsis. A cup of cooked peas also has 9 grams of fiber, adding bulk to your meal and helping you feel full.
2. Reduces Bad Cholesterol: The niacin in peas helps reduce the production of triglycerides and VLDL (very low-density lipoprotein), which results in in less bad cholesterol, increased HDL (“good”) cholesterol, and lowered triglycerides.
3. Prevent Heart Disease: The antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds in peas support healthy blood vessels. They are rich in B-vitamins. A cup of cooked or raw peas provides about one-third of the thiamine you need each day and 20 to 25 percent of your recommended daily intake for riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6 and folate. It also contains nearly half your RDI for vitamin K.
5. Weight Loss: Peas are low in calories, but rich in nutrients (1 cup of peas contain just 118 calories). They are rich in fiber which makes you feel full for a long time, and this helps in making you eat less.
6. Skin Health: The antioxidants present in peas helps reduce free radical damage. Just like metal rusts after exposure to air, our bodies too suffer from free radical damage. Eating peas slows down this process, and helps prevent signs of aging.
7. Aids Immune System: A strong immune system ensures that your body is capable of fighting infections and keeps you free from diseases. Peas are a good source of Vitamin C, along with many other nutrients which improves your immunity.
8. Excellent Source of Iron: Power packed with iron, peas can help prevent anemia and fatigue, especially in women. The high vitamin content helps ensure that you don’t feel fatigued after a tiring day.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.