Did you know onions are high in antioxidants?
Onions are packed with nutrients. They are excellent sources of vitamin C, fiber, folic acid, antioxidants, and other important flavonoids and phytochemicals.
Onions are low in calories, sodium, contain not fat or cholesterol.
Here are 8 amazing health benefits of onions:
1. Heart Health: The sulfur in onions can help lower high blood pressure, lower bad cholesterol, and increase good cholesterol. It can also help to prevent blood clots, stroke, and your arteries from hardening.
2. Anti-inflammatory: Onions have been used to reduce inflammation for centuries. Onions’ sulfurs are effective anti-inflammatory agents. They can even reduce inflammation in blood vessels, which reduces the risk of heart disease. The quercetin in onions can help with arthritis pain by easing swelling and joint stiffness.
3. Immune System: Onions can promote a strong immune system by eliminating free radicals, improving the effectiveness of vitamin C in your body, and improving the absorption of minerals through probiotics, which are promoted by the fiber in onions.
4. Cancer: Onions are high in quercetin, a powerful anti-cancer agent. In lower concentrations, quercetin helps prevent cancer cells from growing by killing free radicals. In higher concentrations, quercetin becomes toxic to cancer cells.
5. Detoxification: Onions have amino acids that are rich in organic sulfur. They initiate detoxification by forming the basis for glutathione, helps the liver process toxins.
6. Digestion: The fiber in onions promotes good digestion and helps keep you regular. Additionally, onions contain a special type of soluble fiber called fructan, which promotes good bacteria growth in your intestines, which helps keeps them healthy and ward off infections.
7. Regulating blood sugar: The chromium in onions assists in regulating blood sugar. The sulfur in onions helps lower blood sugar by triggering increased insulin production.
8. Antioxidants: Onions are high in antioxidants. Antioxidants are important in helping to protect the body from free radical damage.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.