Did you know thyme is an excellent source of vitamin C, a very good source of vitamin A, and a good source of iron, manganese, copper, and dietary fiber?
Thyme is a herb from the mint family. It is an excellent source of vitamin C. It is a very good source of vitamin A (in the form of provitamin A carotenoid phytonutrients) as well as a good source of iron, manganese, copper, and fiber. While it has a very distinctive tastes, it also has a reputation for its medicinal qualities.
Here are 8 interesting health benefits of thyme:
1. Rich in Nutrients: Thyme is full oil components carvacolo, borneol, geraniol and thymol, and has a lot of vitamin k, iron, manganese, and calcium.
2. Great Antioxidant: The volatile oils in thyme were discovered to help take care of the mind by increasing favorable omega-3 fatty acids within one’s brain, keeping your body’s cells healthy and helping to slow the aging process. Fatty acids are critical for constructing cell walls and for preserving the structure of the nervous system, the brain, and arteries. Thyme helps protect these fats from harm caused by free radicals because it’s a strong antioxidant.
3. Bone Health: It’s a fantastic source of vitamin K and a great source of calcium, iron and manganese. These are all crucial to keeping powerful, healthy bones, encouraging appropriate bone development, and preventing bone disorders.
5. Boost Immunity: Thyme is packed with vitamin C and is also a good source of vitamin A. If you feel a cold coming on, thyme can help get you back in shape.
6. Helps Coughs, Colds, & More: Due to its antibiotic and antiseptic components, warm thyme tea sweetened with a little honey can be great for lowering fevers, sore throats, colds, and coughs. Thyme is also sometimes suggested to help alleviate arthritis and gout, since it will help to clear excessive uric acid out of one’s system.
7. Cancer Fighting Properties: Thyme tea can help prevent cancer. The terpenoids in this herb are considered cancer protectors and there is a significant amount of these compounds present.
8. Antibacterial Properties: Thyme essential oil can kill off bacteria inside and outside the body. This herb can be made into a strong tea which can be used to disinfect skin and surfaces. Bacteria in the body are also killed off when exposed to thyme.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.