Did you know one ounce of cooked and drained Swiss chard contains a whopping 115% of the Daily Value for vitamin K?
Swiss chard is a member of the beet family however, it does not produce an edible bulbous root. It’s just the dark green leaves & juicy leaf-stalks that are completely edible and HIGH in nutrition.
Swiss chard is a real super food with a whole range of health benefits.
Here are 8 amazing health benefits of swiss chard:
1. Antioxidants: The reason Swiss chard is so colorful is because it is one of the most antioxidant-rich foods on the planet (antioxidants are responsible for the vivid colors in fruits and vegetables). It contains beta-carotene, vitamin E, vitamin C, zinc, lutein, zeaxanthin, quercetin, kaempferol, and many other disease fighting antioxidants.
2. Helps control blood sugar: Swiss chard contains syringic acid and fiber and syringic acid, both of which help to regulate blood sugar levels. If you are at risk for diabetes or you have been diagnosed with diabetes, you should eat more leafy green vegetables such as Swiss chard.
3. Bone health: Swiss chard, like other leafy green vegetables, is an excellent source of calcium which helps to strengthen the bones and teeth. One cup of Swiss chard provides about 101 mg of calcium. It also contains vitamin K and magnesium, both of which are important for strong bones.
4. Improved Digestion: The natural sugars in apples are good for more than just their sweet taste. They also provide a natural energy boost. That’s why apples are a great choice for an early-morning snack or a post-workout treat.
5. Cancer Prevention: Swiss chard is one of the super foods that is known for its cancer preventative properties thanks to the fiber, chlorophyll, phytochemicals, and other plant pigments it contains. Studies have found that leafy green vegetables are particularly beneficial against colon cancer.
6. Brain Health: In addition to strengthening the bones, the vitamin K in Swiss chard is crucial for the proper functioning of the brain and nervous system because it is essential in the formation of the myelin sheath, the protective layer around nerves.
7. Improve blood circulation: Swiss chard is high in iron, which is essential for maintaining the health of the circulatory system and the prevention of anemia. The vitamin K it contains promotes healthy blood clotting and prevents excessive bruising and bleeding.
8. Eye health: Swiss chard is rich in biotin, an important hair vitamin that promotes hair growth and strength. Research has found that 30 mcg per day of biotin is beneficial for the hair and one cup of Swiss chard contains about 10.5 mcg. Swiss chard also has high amounts of vitamins C and A, both of which assist the hair follicles in the production of sebum.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!