If you know Teddy Pendergrass, then you know whenever you heard his jams it was TIME TO GET IT ON!!! One of our favorite songs by Teddy P is “Turn Off The Lights.” Now, if you are not familiar with this song, there are a few lines we would like to bring to your attention:
“…I wanna love you, love you all over, yeah; Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again…”
That’s A LOT of “overs!” (If we could all be so lucky! Sometimes, it’s a stretch to at least get seconds!)
At 400 & 276lbs, we have to admit, our sex life was pretty good! Hell, we had a waterbed. Can you imagine that??? Yes, there was A LOT of motion in the ocean…more like tsunamis…but we digress. Back then, you could not tell us we were not experiencing great sex…UNTIL!
After dropping 156lbs & 138lbs, we can tell you there are things we are doing in our 40’s that we COULD NOT PHYSICALLY DO in our 20’s & 30’s…believe us, we tried!
Being overweight can actually inhibit your sex life and sexual pleasure. “Numerous studies have found an association between weight and sexual pleasure. Obesity can cause a number of health concerns, but it can also greatly impact your sexual performance. Excess weight is related to poor circulation and dwindling testosterone levels, both of which can contribute to erectile dysfunction. The good news is that losing even a moderate amount of weight can help to improve your sexual function. In fact, a recent study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine found that obese men who lost just 5 to 10 percent of their body weight experienced improved desire as a result.” (Dr. Laura Berman, PhD)
Think about that…by losing JUST 5-10%……..we both lost over 40%…..OH YEA…(insert Teddy P.…”turn of the lights…and light a candle”)
If reducing the number on the scale, lowering your blood pressure, improving your cardiovascular health, getting off high blood pressure and insulin medications, better skin, improved energy, flexibility, and better eating habits are NOT ENOUGH to motivate you to create a healthier lifestyle for yourself, THEN, let this benefit be the one to get you off your butt and into this game called YOUR HEALTHY LIFE!
Better health truly equates to better sex. Both equate to a happy home & a happier, sexier, & more confidant YOU!
As a little extra incentive, we want to share these 5 surprising health benefits of sex. WHO KNEW!!!
1. Sex counts as cardio!: Want to add some variety to your normal cardio routine? Sex can burn anywhere from 85 to 250 calories depending on the length of the activity. According to The American Journal of Cardiology, cardiologist consider sexual activity comparable to a modest workout on a treadmill. Sex will not only give your heart a good workout but you will use your abs, back, butt, and thighs. Forget this week’s traditional spin class!!!
2. Improve sleep: Do we really need to explain this???? If done right, you will orgasm yourself right into feelings of relaxation and sleepiness. If you are not tired, we encourage you to REPEAT with a little more effort.
3. Less Stress: Connecting with your spouse or partner can help soothe stress and anxiety. Sex and intimacy can boost your self-esteem and happiness. “According to research, sexual arousal releases a brain chemical that revs up your brain’s pleasure and reward system.” (WebMD)
4. Pain Reliever: Next time somebody tells you they have a headache, let them know about this amazing antidote. Due to the surge in hormones released after an orgasm, it can actually help ease any aches whether an aching back or headache. “According to research, the endorphins that are released during an orgasm closely resemble morphine, and they effectively relieve pain.” (ABCNews)
5. Lowers Heart Attack Risk: Because sex is great cardio, it is also good for your heart. The activity is not only a great way to elevate your heart rate, sex helps keep your hormones (estrogen and testosterone) in balance.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.