Working out together was one of the BEST things we did for our relationship. Now, don’t get us wrong, we were “tighter than panty hose two sizes too small” before. However, once we decided HEALTH was our priority, something really shifted between us.
Truth is, life gets hectic with work, children, chores, etc. The time we set aside for ourselves became more than just time to exercise. It became our time to connect and communicate. Our exercise time became an extension of our quality time. It gave us time to talk, to challenge, encourage, & motivate each other.
Here are 5 benefits of working out together.
1. Increase Closeness/Emotional Bond: Teamwork makes a dream work. When you workout together, it helps you and your partner create a common goal and course of action to achieving that goal. Exercising together helps to strengthen your emotional bond as a couple because you are spending more quality time together.
It’s been 11 years and we still run/walk together. It’s the activity that not only helped us shed over 100lbs each but it is an activity that we both enjoy. These days, it gets a little more competitive, but it’s still a lot of fun!
2. Improved Intimacy: Improving your cardiovascular health, strength, and flexibility has TREMENDOUS benefit to your relationship. This is definitely a topic for an adult evening session–today, we will keep things “clean!” lol!
As you become healthier and more fit, you begin to experience a shift in how you see yourself and how you feel about yourself. This opens the door to a greater sense of physical intimacy. This adds to the closeness with your partner, further strengthening the bond between the two of you.
3. Improved Energy: It’s simple. People who incorporate activity on a consistent basis tend to have more energy. Working out with your partner adds more energy, excitement, and life to your relationship. It’s ok if things get a little competitive. Use that energy to help challenge and motivate both of you. At the end of the day, the two of you are on the SAME TEAM!
4. Improved Connection through Support: When you workout with your partner, you are able to physically and emotionally support each other. You each become a “helper” to each other. Whether through positive feedback, technique improvements, or support/motivation through that last stretch of your workout, your partner’s feedback is a good way to connect and discover new ways of communicating with each other.
5. Improve/Reduce Stress: Stress is truly detrimental to our health. Fortunately, exercise is the antidote. Regular exercise helps to improve your mood and reduce stress. Working out with your partner helps you to destress together.
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.