The almond contains about 26 percent carbohydrates, 12 percent of which are dietary fiber. About 20 percent of a raw almond is made up of high-quality protein, containing essential amino acids.
An ounce of almonds, which equates to about 25 almonds, contains 12 percent of our necessary daily protein. Nutritionally, almonds have more calcium than any other nut and are an excellent source of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils, protein, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, and vitamin E.
11 HEALTH BENEFITS OF ALMONDS:
• Good for Brain: Almond is a source of many nutrients which help in development of the brain. Almond induces high intellectual level and has been considered as an essential food item for growing children.
• Regulates Cholesterol: Regular consumption of almonds helps to increase the level of high density lipoproteins (HDL) and reduce the level of low density lipoproteins (LDL), thereby effectively controlling cholesterol levels. LDL cholesterol is called bad cholesterol.
• Good for Heart: Mono-saturated fat, protein and potassium contained in almonds are good for the heart. Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant and reduces the risk of heart diseases. The presence of magnesium in almonds helps to avoid heart attacks. Almonds help reduce C-reactive protein which causes artery-damaging inflammation. Almond is also a source of folic acid. They therefore help to reduce the level of homocystein, which causes fatty plaque buildup in arteries.
• Skincare: The benefits of almond for skin care are well known, and hence a massage with almond oil is often recommended for new born babies. Almond milk is also added in some soaps as almonds help in improving the complexion of the skin.
• Regulates Blood Pressure: Potassium present in almond helps to regulates blood pressure. Almonds are very low in sodium which also helps in containing blood pressure.
• Prevention of Cancer: Almond improves the movement of food through the colon, thereby preventing colon cancer.
• Protection against Diabetes: Almonds also help in reducing the rise in sugar and insulin levels after meals. This offers protection from diabetes.
• Good in Pregnancy: Almond contains folic acid. Folic acid helps to reduce the incidence of birth defects in newborn babies.
• Weight Loss: Unsweetened almond milk helps one to reduce weight. The mono-saturated fat contained in almonds satisfies appetite and prevents over-eating. Studies have revealed that almond rich low calorie diet is good for obese people to assist in shedding their weight.
• Prevention of Constipation: Almonds are rich in fibre. Like most other fibre rich food, almonds also help in preventing constipation. Make sure you drink good amount of water after eating almonds.
• Boosts Energy: The presence of manganese, copper and Riboflavin helps in energy production.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
Check out these resources:
Visit www.organicfacts.net and www.doctoroz.com for additional information.
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Maleka Beal is a health coach and co-founder of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education. To learn more, connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram @malekabeal.