Proteins are essential to our body for a number of reasons. They are the building blocks for life! The body needs protein to repair and maintain itself. Next to water, protein is the most abundant substance in the human body.
Now, the question is how much protein should you have?
The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is:
• Men: 56 grams a day
• Women: 46 grams a day
The amount of recommended daily protein depends upon your age and health. Two to three servings of protein-rich food will meet the daily needs of most adults.
Here are 6 simple ways you can add protein to your diet:
1. Replace the meat in your current diet with lean meats. Examples of lean meats that are high in protein are chicken, turkey, fish, or tenderloin cuts of meat.
2. Add cottage cheese to your diet. Every 1 cup of cottage cheese contains approximately 28 g of protein.
3. Add eggs to your diet. You can either eat egg whites, or egg with the yolk, as the yolk contains approximately 6.5 g of protein.
4. Snack on nuts, beans, and seeds throughout the day. Sunflower seeds, chickpeas, edamame beans, unsalted peanuts, and peanut butter are all examples of foods in these food groups that are high in protein.
5. Add yogurt to your diet. Yogurt is generally high in protein, especially Greek-style yogurt, which is often denser and richer in protein than regular yogurt.
6. Eat vegetables that are high in protein. Examples of vegetables that are especially high in protein are broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, and potatoes. Eat the vegetables raw (such as in a salad), or prepare the vegetables using a stir-fry or steaming method. These preparation styles will allow the vegetables to retain their nutrients and protein; whereas boiling the vegetables can reduce their amount of nutrients.
Quick Tip: Eat seafood in place of meat or poultry twice a week. Select a variety of seafood—include some that are higher in oils and low in mercury, such as salmon, trout, and herring.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
Check out these references:
Visit www.choosemyplate.gov for additional information.
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.