Who can resist cold, crispy, and deliciously, sweet grapes!
Grapes make snacking simple, healthy, & versatile. Whether adding to a fruit salad, green salad, or putting on a sandwich, grapes provide us with more than just tasting great! Grapes are rich in vitamins, treat a number of body ailments, and filled with powerful antioxidants.
Here are 8 amazing health benefits of grapes:
1. Rich in Vitamins: Grapes, one of the most popular and delicious fruits, are rich sources of vitamins A, C, B6 and folate in addition to essential minerals like potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium and selenium. Just one cup of grapes provides 20% of your daily intake of vitamin K, 15-20% of vitamin C, and 2-10% of iron, magnesium, potassium and B vitamins!
2. Natural Source of Iron: Grapes are a modest source of iron, and the vitamin C in grapes improves iron absorption. Iron is a mineral your body needs to transport oxygen and carbon dioxide and to regulate cell growth, and anemia.
3. Reduce Risk of Heart Attack: Grapes are rich in the phytochemical compound resveratrol, one of the most powerful antioxidants. Resveratrol has been shown to help protect against colon and prostate cancers, coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, degenerative nerve disease and viral/ fungal infections.
4. Reduce Asthma Inflammation: Due to their well-known therapeutic value, grapes can be used as a cure for asthma. In addition to that, the hydrating power of grapes is also high, which increases the moisture present in the lungs and reduces asthmatic events. High levels of fiber and resveratrol in red grape skins work to reduce inflammation in the lungs and removes mucus and phlegm from airways.
5. Relieve Constipation: Grapes are very effective in overcoming and eliminating constipation. They are classified as a laxative food, because they contain organic acid, sugar and cellulose. Grapes are high in insoluble fiber, meaning that it remains intact as it moves through the digestive tract. It builds up bulk, which promotes the formation and excretion of healthy stool, so grapes can help make you much more regular.
6. Lower Cholesterol: Grapes contain a compound called pterostilbene, which has the capacity to lower a person’s cholesterol levels. Pterostilbene is closely related to resveratrol, the beneficial antioxidant and coloring flavonoid that is also found in grapes, and early research has shown that it has anti-cancer qualities as well as having a great impact on cholesterol levels.
7. Antibacterial and Antiviral: Red grapes have strong antibacterial and antiviral properties that can protect you from infections. Catechins and Anthocyanins are two classes of antioxidants that are found in red grapes in abundance.
8. Help with Indigestion: grapes are a popular natural remedy to combat dyspepsia (indigestion). Approximately 15-20 grapes, or a glass of grape juice, are the suggested amount to soothe irritation of the stomach lining. They are also preferred over other digestive aids because they are considered a “light food”.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.