Ladies, be honest. We stand in front of the mirror, turn to get a side profile view, & say to ourselves, “my butt is flat!!!” We squeeze to tighten it; we lift it with our hands; we squeeze the cellulite—all to get a glimpse of what our butt COULD look like…
Well, ladies, I, Maleka Beal, can tell you from experience…IF YOU WORK IT, YOU WILL LIFT IT!!! lol!
Seriously, it is amazing what your body will do if you treat it right & work it consistently. Exercise is essential to your healthier lifestyle. Notice, I said essential–meaning it is a part of the process not the whole process. Insert nutrition…but that’s a another conversation.
Today, we just want to motivate you to incorporate activities that will help you lift, tone, & sculpt those areas that you want to change. Again, with just a little effort and a lot of consistency, you will be surprised how your body will respond. Trust us, it’s never too late to begin….sooooooooo, there is no day like today! #NoExcuses
Here are 5 exercises to lift, firm, & tone your butt!
“When it comes to your backside, here’s the bottom line: To lift your butt, you have to build muscle. “Building new lean muscle will help develop a backside with a natural well-rounded shape,” says Jillian Lorenz, co-owner of the Chicago-based women’s strength studio Barre Bee Fit with Ariana Chernin.”
1. SQUAT!!!: Whether using your own body weight or doing a dumbbell squat as listed below, squats will help lift & tone your butt over time.
• Start with your feet shoulder-width apart and 8- to 10-pound dumbbells by your thighs.
• Squat down as if you were going to sit in a chair, keeping your weight over your heels.
• Squeeze your glutes as you return to the start position.
• Do 15-20 reps.
• As you continue, keep the weight in your heels, making sure your knees do not pass forward of your toes.
• For a bigger challenge, try it without the weights, jump explosively, and land in the squat position.
2. Hip Lifts: This is a great exercise to relieve tension in your back and work your butt at the same time.
• Lie on your back with your arms at your sides with your knees bent and your feet on the floor.
• Lift your hips toward the ceiling. Hold for 1 count, and then lower back down.
• Repeat the lifts for 60 seconds, squeezing your glutes and hamstrings at the top of the range of motion. Be careful not to overarch your spine.
• To make this exercise more difficult, extend one leg at the top of the lift. Keep your thighs parallel and hold the lifted position for about 5 seconds.
• Keeping your hips up, place your foot back on the floor and then lower your hips.
• Repeat this exercise for 30 seconds; switch sides and do the move for another 30 seconds on the other leg.
3. Toe Taps: You just have to try it to see just how your butt will benefit!
• Lie on the floor with your arms on your sides.
• Lift your feet, bending both knees to 90 degrees so your thighs are perpendicular to the floor.
• Now slowly and quietly tap your left toes to the floor, then your right.
• Alternate tapping feet for one minute.
• If you feel any lower back pain, don’t bring your toes all the way down.
4. Plie: Simple & effective!
• Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and your toes pointing out.
• Bring your arms out straight in front of you and lower into a squat.
• Come back up and repeat. Go as low into the squat as you can without letting your knees move past your toes.
• Be sure to tuck your tailbone under and contract your glutes. Keep your torso tall, and don’t let your knees creep past your toes.
• Do for 1 minute. (After about 40 seconds, pulse at the bottom of the squat for 20 seconds.)
5. Single Leg Squat with Towel: This was a new exercise for me and definitely a challenge! This exercise focuses on what we know as the “bullets.” What are butt bullets? This is the underside of your butt that hangs outside your bum! (back of your butt & lower part of your hips)
• Stand with your feet together and place your right foot on top of a folded towel.
• Shifting your weight to your left leg, slide the towel out slowly to your right.
• Then slowly return to the start position.
• Work this side for 30 seconds, keeping your elbows bent and your fists together near your chin.
• When you squat, your left knee should bend between 45 and 90 degrees.
• After 30 seconds, switch legs and do the squats and slides for another 30 seconds.
Remember, consistency is the key! Stick with it! Eventually, you will see the results of your efforts! Happy sculpting!
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.