Do you believe you are STUCK with a slow metabolism? No matter what you do, does it seem like nothing is changing or it seems like things are not changing fast enough?
Here’s the deal. Your metabolism may be slow but the good news is no matter how old, overweight, or out of shape are you, you have the ability to rev things up! You CAN increase your metabolism.
Metabolism is the process of breaking down your macronutrients (proteins, carbs, and fats) to yield the energy your body needs to maintain itself. Because the body needs energy, the BEST way to rev up your metabolism is to increase your body’s need for energy.
Glad you asked.
Here are 7 tips to help you improve your metabolism and begin to lose fat:
1. Build Muscle. Strength Train: Muscle weighs more than fat. It also uses more energy. By adding strength training just twice a week, it will help increase your resting metabolism by 100 calories per day. This means even when you are resting, your metabolism is kicked up!
2. Interval Training: By adding interval training to your workout, you can maximize your calorie burn even AFTER you’ve finished your workout. It’s simple. If running or walking, add 30 seconds of a high-intensity effort. You will burn anywhere from 100-200 additional calories.
3. Fuel your Body! Eat 5-6 times a day: We have to stop telling ourselves “NOT EATING” is a sustainable solution. IT’S NOT! Your body is like your car. Food is your fuel. Any questions?
Eating every 2-3 hours helps stimulate your metabolism for short period of times. This means that the more often you eat, the more you’ll increase your metabolism. This process of eating frequently reassures your body that you aren’t going to starve it & it will not have to “store fat” fearing uncertainty of the next meal.
4. Eat often but EAT RIGHT!: Don’t be slick! Yes, we said eat often but we did not say eat whatever you want! Remember, you can not out exercise a bad diet! Since our metabolism breaks down our macronutrients, we want to make sure we are consuming lean proteins, good carbohydrates, and health fats. That means eating things like plenty of vegetables, like green leafy veggies, chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, healthy oils, beans, etc. You should also include high fiber goods as these types of foods also help to increase your metabolism.
5. Add Omega-3’s to your Diet: Omega-3’s help to balance blood sugar and reduce inflammation, helping to regulate your metabolism. Try adding fish rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon or tuna.
6. Increase those Calories: The first thing we do when embarking on a weight loss journey is REDUCE OUR CALORIES. Although you need to reduce your caloric intake, you don’t want to slash calories to the point your body conserves energy. This is also referenced as “starvation mode,” where your body HOLDS on to calories, storing fat. A good rule of thumb is to eat enough calories to match your RMR or your resting metabolic rate. This is the amount of energy you would burn if you stayed in bed all day.
7. Start the AM Right! Eat Breakfast: Eat breakfast! This gets your metabolism going! Eat a nutrient-rich meal including lean protein, veggies, & fruit. Go back and read tips 3 & 4.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.