Are you still struggling to take the first step? You are not alone.
Truth is change is difficult. Most times, it’s a very daunting & extremely SLOW process. However, this does not mean change is impossible. Nor does it mean you will never accomplish your goals.
You will get there.
In order for that to happen, you have to take the first step–every day. Remember, health is a journey. It’s a process of making those daily decisions & actions that will move you closer to achieving your goals.
To get started, we have 6 questions we think will help you clarify your goals & action steps.
1. What is your goal? In other words, what do you want to accomplish? What is your destination? This first question is imperative. Knowing your goal puts you in position to take the next step. Remember, it’s difficult to create a “road map” without knowing where YOU WANT TO GO.
2. What do you know? Here’s the truth. We all know WHAT to do or at least, we have a pretty good idea of what to do. What brings us to the crossroads, if you will, is not knowing HOW & WHY what we know will either work for us or work against us. Just like weight loss, we all know what to do to lose weight–eat less, exercise more. It’s when we know & understand “the HOW & WHY” that we create a complete understanding. It is that complete understanding that empowers you to change your life.
3. What are your challenges? We all face challenges or obstacles in our life. Guess what? You always will. Because of that fact, you have two choices — you can choose to face it head on so you can continue to move forward OR you can choose to avoid it, which in the end, will keep you stuck right where you are.
Here’s the deal. Challenges are like Legos. They are LIFE’s building blocks. Each obstacle you face is like adding a Lego piece to your Lego creation. Each piece helps your Lego creation come to life. Well, the same applies to the challenges of life. Every time you face and overcome that challenge, the lesson learned is applied to your life. Don’t be fooled. Sometimes, you will meet those challenges head on without failure and other times, YOU WILL FAIL.
Failure is not the problem. Your perception of that failure is. Too often, we find ourselves believing we are NOT suppose to fail or make mistakes. Truth is, failure is not an option, it’s a requirement. You must fail. It is only when you have failed or have fallen that you truly learn and discover what works for you.
4. What are you afraid of? Are you afraid to fail or are your afraid you will actually succeed? Sometimes the intimidation of success is greater than the reality of failure. Why? Because with success comes accountability. How many times have you avoided accountability for your choices and actions? How many times have you made excuses to mask the real reason behind not taking the next step? There is a gift that comes with the decision to allow yourself to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. It’s in that space of being uncomfortable that you must push yourself. When you do, you will discover that the more willing you are at facing your fears the more you enable & empower yourself to take action to meet those fears head on!
Don’t let your fears defeat you. Let them motivate you.
5. What are you willing & ready to change? When you think about this question, don’t look at the big picture or the totality of your goal (ex: losing 200lbs) Instead, ask yourself, what is the smallest step I can take today? What BetterChoice can I make today? We call these tipping points. Tipping points are when small things make a big difference. So, if your goal is to lose weight, well understand, weight loss is not really the goal. Weight loss is simply the byproduct or the result of the choices you make every day.
Your readiness is always determined by your willingness. If you are not willing to make changes, then you are not ready to change. If you are not willing to do something different, then you will not attain anything different. You must be willing to let go of your excuses.
Here is what we know about excuses. The excuses you keep telling yourself is your way of giving yourself permission to accept your unwillingness to change.
You MUST BE WILLING to move forward. As long as you are unwilling, you will never change.
6. Are you committed? It’s simple. You have to commit. You must be determined. You know the only thing standing between you and your goal is you. There is nothing else standing in your way. The moment you get out of your own way is the moment you begin to change your life.
Yes, it’s a process. Sometimes the process will be fun and other times, you feel like you can’t take another step…but you do. That is commitment. That is determination. It is in making that choice to keep going, to keep moving, to keep pushing yourself, that you become comfortable with being uncomfortable. It is in that moment where you realize nothing WILL stand in your way…not even you.
As always, thank you for time, love & support. We hope what we have shared has helped you. Be sure to share this info with family & friends.
-Eric & Maleka Beal
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!