SIMPLE CHILI RECIPE PERFECT FOR ANY COLD WEATHER DAY! Who doesn’t love a really good bowl of chili. By adding lean ground turkey and red kidney beans, we have created a protein & fiber filled dish that is perfect for any cold weather day. Hope you enjoy!
Makes: 10-12 servings
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons sweet basil
- 1 24oz bottle organic tomato sauce
- 1 cup water or low sodium beef/chicken stock (may need to add more based on consistency preference)
- 2-4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 14oz cans red kidney beans, drained/rinsed
- 1-2 14oz cans of stewed tomatoes (optional)
- salt and pepper
Heat extra virgin olive oil in large skillet or pot over medium heat. Saute onions, bell peppers, and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add ground turkey and break into pieces (crumbles) until no longer pink. Add basil, oregano, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, tomato sauce, stewed/diced tomatoes. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes. Add water or chicken stock and kidney beans. Bring to slight boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 1 hour. Taste chili before adding salt & pepper. Add vinegar into chili.
Top chili with cheese, low fat sour cream or greek yogurt. Enjoy with side salad or green vegetable. *Try adding additional veggies to your chili like corn, carrots, broccoli or just use your imagination & create a new dish you will love!
Calories: 256 | Fat: 11g | Fiber: 5g | Carbs: 16g | Protein: 23g | Sugar: 4g
DID YOU FIND THIS INFORMATION HELPFUL? Receive more great tips and resources direct to your inbox when you sign up for our weekly newsletter below. Of course, we would love to hear from you! Be sure to leave us a comment & share it!!!
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.