“Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn’t matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle… when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.”
In other words, you should not only be prepared, you MUST BE FOCUSED!
Ask yourself, how many times do you find yourself losing your sense of direction, commitment, & focus? It’s a daily challenge to remain focused on your goals and daily tasks. With so many things pulling for our attention, it’s easy to lose focus and allow circumstances to interfere or influence your focus.
The truth is, whatever you allow to consume your mind will consume your life. How can you be positive if you surround yourself with your own negative thoughts or the negative thoughts of those in your circle? How can you “shift” your mind to “I CAN” if your focus is on what you CAN’T do?
Put yourself in the shoes of the gazelle or the lion. Poor health, illness, disease lifestyle related are just some of the results of poor focus, preparation, and implementation. In order for us to survive and prayerfully live longer, like the gazelle or the lion, we must keep our mind on doing what it takes to win every day.
Here are 5 tips to help improve your overall focus:
1. Write It Down: There is a 99% chance you can accomplish any goal you set for yourself if you WRITE IT DOWN. Remember, if it is not in black & white, it doesn’t exist. It’s great to have hopes and dreams in your mind but writing them down makes them real. It also makes them attainable because you have taken the first step to creating your road map towards achieving your goals.
2. Create A Road Map: If you have never traveled to Chicago, how will you know how to get there? You need a road map. The same holds true for your short term and long term goals. Whether you want to lose weight, improve your finances, or start a new project, you must create a road map –a plan or course of action to get you from point A to point B and beyond.
3. Create An Environment For Success: Again, whatever you allow to consume your mind will consume your life. You can not be successful and positive if you are surrounded by failure, clutter, chaos, and negativity. Whether you are creating a better working space, improving your inner circle, or trying to lose weight, you must create an environment where you can grow. There is nothing like being in a circle of crabs and negativity. No one, not even the crabs, can survive that environment.
4. PRIORITY! PRIORITY! PRIORITY!: Everyone and everything can not be a priority in your life. The priority begins with YOU. If you are putting everyone’s needs before yours, well, it won’t be long before you have depleted yourself of the focus and energy required to achieve your goal(s). Make a list from most important to least important. Focus on the most important things on your list and remove or delegate those things at the bottom of your list.
5. Get Rest: Rest and focus go hand in hand. If you are not well rested, you will not be able to focus. When we lack rest, our brain is just not prepared or equipped to maintain the focus we need to progress daily. Rest is one of those things that will continue to surface. Rest is a requirement. We have 24 hours in a day – 8 of those hours were created for rest. Somewhere along the line, rest became a luxury and not a priority. We are here to tell you REST IS A PRIORITY.
Eric and Maleka Beal are health coaches and co-founders of BetterChoices, a health & wellness company and social community focused on educating, advocating, and promoting better health and wellness through lifestyle, nutrition, and fitness education.